Monday, April 26, 2010

The Case for World Union 2011


The hype is beginning. And my tolerance for the “tie ins” is already wearing thin.

I have the impression that almost no one will be able to afford the price of the tickets to actually see a game of Rugby as part of the World Cup next year, even though it is being held here in New Zealand. It matters little: I can join in the action by drinking Powerade and using Rexona anti persperant. And I am sure that soon I will be yearning a Ford and eating more Weetbix and Australian made Moros.

Rugby Union is a business, and it becomes more and more so with every passing year. As I have mentioned before, the sport is kind of falling by the way side as attractive players wear tighter clothing and push products they get paid to like and may never actually buy themselves if they didn’t get them for free.

This is not to say that the All Blacks are not a good Rugby Team, far from it – most of the previous World Cup performances notwithstanding. To be an All Black is to reach the pinnacle of New Zealand rugby excellence, to be one of the sporting elite. However, these days, that title and the admiration comes with are being exploited for cash – a lot of it.

I am as keen to have my lack of sporting prowess thrown in my face as the next man (though I can still drink their drinks and wear their scent so will be just like them in all they ways that don’t really matter). My hat goes off to the PE teacher who trains with the team and finds that they are very tough and fit and outstrip his own impressive athletic efforts. Should I see him one day, I would like to point out to him that the All Blacks are paid (very well) to do exercise full time, whereas he is a teacher who has to look after students and after that gets to work out, so if he had beat the players, then I think Mr Henry would have had something to say to them. I am sure he will not need any reassurance though: starring in an ad with the All Blacks (and doing very well next to them, I believe) and earning a nice amount for making the advertisement (and perhaps having a lifetime supply of Powerade provided as well?) would no doubt be one of the highlights of this man’s year, if not his lifetime.

But, as much as I admire the team, the advertisements themselves make me deliberately NOT want to purchase these products. I don’t like to be manipulated into doing something, especially not on patriotic grounds, and unabashed link between New Zealand = All Black = Adidas/Rexona/Powerade really grates my cheese. The message I hear is this: to be like the All Blacks, to support the All Blacks, buy these products, because that is how to support New Zealand, and so if you don’t, then you’re a Commie.

But then I do have sensitive hearing. And I believe I am a great cynic when it comes to these marketing campaigns. For me, as much as I like seeing the boys in black (well, gray) running all around the place and being all energetic-like, the association of a product with these athletes diminishes the All Blacks somewhat. Results on the field are what counts, as important as rehydration and the neutralising of body odour may be.

Verdict: It will only get more intense from here. If only it were Right here, right now, but there is another year of this to go. 7 out of 15.

2 comments:

missrabbitty said...

here's what i do...and i love rugby...i NEVER watch ads...and as cadbury kills orangutans their products do no longer pass my lips...hope that helps.
p.s. i have resigned myself to the fact that if i want to go see the all blacks play i have to see them play overseas Iit's cheaper). i last watched them live in sydney...and before that at athletic park. yes, i'm THAT old!

missrabbitty said...

and that is it's...stupid fingers!