Monday, April 12, 2010

The Case for Dream Meetings



First off, a thought from Stephen Fry on the program QI:

"Friendship is like wetting your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can
feel it's warmth"

Secondly, today's posting is inspired by a recent dream I had.

Question: if you won an evening out with one of the Top Gear crew (the UK
version, of course), which of them would you choose?

In my dream, for some obscure reason (I had not even watched that evening's
screening of the show), Richard Hammond showed up at a bricked family home in
the UK, where the parents had won the visitation put passed it on to their
highly excitable daughter, who ran around screaming like Mandy Moore in
American Dreamz (nod to Di for introducing me to that movie). The dream ended
shortly thereafter, as did my sleeping bliss as the working day dawned with the
sound of my alarm clock.

But it left me with the question: whom would I choose? Time to go through the
pros and cons, in ascending height order:

1) Richard Hammond: small and bubbly, I imagine he would be a jittering ball of
energy and playful fun. How irritating. I imagine he would probably be a great
laugh, full of amusing anecdotes and outlandish excuses about the XT mobile
network he so famously endorsed, but trying to keep up with him could be a bit
of a tall order, as it were. I think I would really have to see what hair style
he was sporting before making that decision.

2) James May: the deep thinking geek of the group, James seems like a
fascinating individual, with a wealth of interesting tidbits and experiences at
his disposal - though this treasure knowledge trove may not extend to the
sporting realm. By putting up with the others, he obviously has a sense of
humour (a self deprecating one too) and would probably provide the most relaxed
evening of the three. And he would be very knowledgable about wine to boot.

3) Jeremy Clarkson: there will be no option but to stand out in a crowd with the
lanky loud one. Opinionated and outspoken, an evening out with Jeremy would
have to be only for the self assured and possibly those with a black belt in
karate if Jeremy's attention turned to any Hells Angels or Pensioners within
earshot. Probably hilarious, if you can handle listening to someone rant about
everything for most of the evening, but it may take several hours to agree on a
restaurant or movie even if Jeremy was the one making the selection.

Verdict: Well, I think the choice therefore is fairly clear: Jeremy reigns
surpreme. Just kidding; I would have to go for the James option. And I would
trust him to drive too. 4 gears out of 5.

5 comments:

Not Kate said...

I'd go for Clarkson. He'd be fun! I need someone very un-shy to balance me out (before a few wines) in such a pressure laden dinner. He's got a thick skin, so you could take the piss a bit.

James May would be interesting, but might take longer to get warmed up. He'd probably be great to know in real life.

The first guy... he'd be fun too. I think of his as less 'substantial' than the other two. Kind of a Dick Grayson character.

Not Kate said...

I posted a comment! Where'd it go?

R said...

It still seems to be there, but I have heard that the blogosphere has been acting up a wee bit lately...

R

missrabbitty said...

the hamster...no question.

missrabbitty said...

to further clarify...have seen them all live...the hamster is the best.