Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Case for Rastlin'


At first, I thought the recent price hike at cheapskate Tuesdays (a whole 50 cents!) would render me incapable of enjoying anything. And so, as the end credits rolled,
I was surprised to find that The Wrestler put me in such a contemplative mood. Perhaps I was in a contemplative mood beforehand, and just stunned momentarily until the film knocked me back into that frame of mind. But whatever the order of things, the movie struck a chord with me, albeit a sad, melancholy one.

Mickey Rourke is incredible as Robin "Randy the Ram", his tortured looks and easy style making the ex-professional wrestler not only a hard, respected man but also imbuing him with a sensitive soul. He's a tough softie - a man respected for his phsyique and physicality, but overall a nice, friendly yet simple guy. The film catches up with the Ram once the height of his vitality and fame are behind him, picking out a meagre living on a weekend wrestling circuit and ancient Nintendo video games with the kids who live near his residence in his trailer park. He's in love with three things: his daughter, his favourite stripper, and of course, his wrestling.

Stories like this I have seen a thousand times before. But the way in which it is told is gripping. Besides the mesmerising performance by Rourke, Marisa Tomei, as the aging stripper Cassidy, also puts in an astounding turn. Everyone else is just background - from Randy's daughter to the various wrestlers and fans who surround him.

The film is about growing older, faded youth and lost dreams. About reality getting in the way of fantasy, of how acting on impulse can screw up your life. Its a sobering look at the also rans, with a healthy dose of 80s music in there for good measure.

I am not sure how good I would have found it were I not in my current frame of mind. But sometimes a movie and a moment coincide. And this was a good coincidence.

Verdict: The Wrestler is really, really good. A tragic tale told well, with Rourke and Tomei deserving all their accolades. 7.5 clotheslines out of 10.

1 comment:

kiwilauren said...

This is unrelated to the Wrestler, but Kirsten told me about your new place in Upper Hutt! I'll have to come for a visit there next year. :o) Miss you, Richard!!!!