Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Case for a New Zealand Day

It is both curious and inspiring to witness the reverence with which New Zealanders commemorate ANZAC Day. People from all colours, creeds and faiths gather together to remember the deeds of earlier (and sometimes still current) generations in the name of their country, and for the benefit of the future.

Strange in a way to think how different this is to Waitangi Day. There, we remember the signing of the Treaty, the founding document for the creation of New Zealand as a nation. But how we remember that event is markedly different from how we revere our war dead.

Instead of unifying all ages and races, Waitangi Day points out our differences. Rather than being about an event and the spirit of a nation as ANZAC Day has become, Waitangi Day tends to end up as a forum for political point scoring. Rather than just reflecting on what was, Waitangi Day questions the what is, and seeks to create the what will be.

And so I have to ask myself: which of these is more like a national day? In other countries, the national day tends to be one of unquestioning celebration, of non-judgemental jingoistic nationalism. But in New Zealand, we do things differently: ANZAC Day is when we acknowledge the sacrifices made by others irrespective of the rightness of the cause, whereas Waitangi Day seems to be the time to revisit past injustices and contemplate all that is lacking in New Zealand society.

I am not intending to criticise either one. To be honest, I think it shows a sign of maturity to be able to look critically at the nation of New Zealand and to speak frankly about its failings. But having Waitangi Day as our national day is to put a uniquely New Zealand touch to what it that sort of celebration normally means. ANZAC Day, on the other hand, seems more in line with what, abroad, a day of national celebration tends to be, even if what is celebrated is the deaths of many of its citizens.

As an aside, around this time, I also tend to think of that excellent documentary War Stories Our Mothers Never Told Us, about the experience of New Zealand women during the Second World War. An amazing movie, about women with incredible tales to tell.

Verdict: Both of these days define what it is to be a New Zealander. But what that definition might be, I will judge another time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Switzerland the national day has degenerated somewhat in the past couple of years into extemism from what I can tell. I think they're right extremists who'd consider themselves patriots I guess, but patriots of what, except being 'Swiss' I'm not sure. The day is celebrated by having notables attend a ceremony in a field where the beginnings of the Swiss confederation were formed. Last year the various harbours on Lake Luzern were shut to keep the not wanteds there. So they decided to paddle in kayaks. It would have been amusing if it handn't been so sad. I suppose they'd tell me to go home if I raised any issues with them...or worse, that I'm not one of 'those' foreigners. But of course I am.

Anonymous said...

And I like the way we do it differently in NZ. My only hope is that we can move on. Yes, apologise for the past. Absolutely, unreservedly, but, then, more on. Together.