Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Case for Perpetual Loops


Looper, starring the awesome Joseph Gordon-Levitt doing a superb impression of his "older Joe self" (Bruce Willis), has got rave reviews.  



And it is a really impressive movie.  Bleak, depressing, with a few tricky twists, turns and tricks along the way to keep you guessing and entertained.  Unfortunately, it is also one of those movies that you can't talk too much about.

What I can say is that Gordon-Levitt is fantastic, Willis is himself, Paul Dano is bloody irritating and about halfway through Emily Blunt shows up with an American accent to provide a bit of class.



I can also say that I am not as big a fan of the movie as the majority it seems.  When it comes to time travel stories, I am particularly fussy, and as much as it is amusing when the characters say "I can't explain it because it is too complicated", I am not a fan when that is the magic verbal wand that is swished about to explain things that, really, make no sense whatsoever.

But I won't go into that here.  No, I will just say that it definitely kept me entertained most of the way through (I thought the end was a bit of a disappointment, truth be told) and Gordon-Levitt once again is brilliant.

Verdict: Looper is not really a lot of anything new, but is done really well with a (mostly) amazing cast. 7 temporal anomalies out of 10.





No comments: