Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Case for Old News


Okay, I really late off the bat with this, as there is already a Facebook page devoted to its return, but Flashbacks (the party bar) in Lower Hutt has followed the Hoyts cinema and disappeared into history (well, for now anyway).



For me, Flashbacks was an eternal part of Lower Hutt's nightlife. Not that I have ever been in there for more than a few minutes. Whenever I passed by, the lights flashing and illuminating the Lower Hutt skyline, it was either so busy with drunken Huttites that I was too scared to cross the threshold, or it was so empty awaiting an influx of custom that its small yet bare interior gave me the wiggins so I was too scared to go in.



So I can't really say that I am too sad to see this go, and so I can't really join the Facebook initiative to bring it back.

Verdict: Things to do change - but perhaps the power of Facebook will resuscitate this Lower Hutt institution. Considering some of the inmates that must have been let loose since this instituations demise, that might be the best thing. 2 flashes out of 5.

1 comment:

Off-Black said...

Ahh, flashies. It broke the run of bar/restaurants failing on that site brilliantly. I spent/misspent many and evening underage drinking there in the 1990's. They always ended the night by playing 'Ironic' by Alanis Morissette.