Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Case for Uplifting in Down Times


It's a pretty depressing time at the moment.

Friday 18 March was a day of reflection in New Zealand, and once again the flag at the Beehive in Wellington was at half mast.


Considering the state of things, with natural disasters on the brink of causing unnatural ones, with uprisings causing some violent clampdowns, and with people distracting themselves from these super serious issues with worries about royal weddings and Charlie Sheen, I found it really hard to know what to put in my regular Weekend Edition blog posting.

Rather than dwell on all the sadness or ruminate on the inconsequential, I thought it was time for something... uplifting.



Verdict: It's a bit of a downer out there at the moment, and I don't really feel that I can write about things "out there" without appearing insensitive or just ignorant. Sometimes, the bigger things just overwhelm the little things, and this for me is one of those times. But I find some solace and joy in some of the little things, and I hope everyone else does too. A "getting back up" 3 out of a "back to normal" 10, but rising.

No comments: