Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Case for Kiddie Nostalgia - Part 2


There are plenty of shows from childhood that I do dimly recall, but have obviously not made that huge an impression on me. Thanks to those who, in Part 1, reminded me of some other "classic" shows from the past, ones that I had almost forgotten, though with your prodding, I now have glimmerings of recognition:

4. Secret Valley

Okay, so I will admit that I always kind of remember Secret Valley, the kiddie drama where bad boy Spider and his gang picked on the namby pamby do-gooders in the Secret Valley. It was tribal warfare in 80s Australia, with ignorant parents running around unaware of the sly deceptions and intrigues going on around them.

Well, at least, that is how I remember it. Unfortunately, I think I more accurately recall the theme song, which was sung to the tune of "Waltzing Matilda" by a bunch of screaming children - nowhere near as cult classicy as the Lost Islands theme song.

Influences: Well, I think at the time I thought it was a super cool show full of super cool kids doing supe
r cool things. I don't think I ever started an underground resistance cell to battle other kids though.

DVD: No sign. And I don't think I will go out looking

5. Voyagers!

Until Morgan pointed this one out, I had forgotten I ever knew i
t. Voyagers was basically Quantum Leap for kids. A man with a time travel device shows up one day and whisks a young boy away back in time in space. Today, this kind of show would come with parental warnings that one should never let small children be whisked away by strangers of any persuasion, time travelling do gooders or no.

I seem to recall this was a fairly entertaining series, though tended to get stuck in the pioneering USA, though that perhaps is really not that surprising
.

Influences: Again, none that I can recall (I loved Dr Who way before I remember liking this one), though I do recall the lead actor died after the creation of the first season by accidentally shooting himself with blanks (which are still lethal when playing Russian roulette), so a second series was never made.

DVD: Voyagers is available from Amazon at a fairly reasonable price, though considering my nostalgia priorities, I may save up for one of the more unreasonably priced series.

6. The Kids from O.W.L.

Right, let me be honest here and say I recall almost nothing about the Kids from O.W.L. and not even the power of the Internet was really able to jog memories other than people with walking stick guns, and that the series was Kiwi made. And that's all I really have to say.

Influences: I always love a good secret society with nifty gadgets and a sense of humour. No idea if any of these joys were in any shape formed by this show, but I just thought I would mention it.

DVD: Are you kidding? TVNZ has only just released a version of Under the Mountain (I am still waiting for Children of the Dog Star), so a really obscure show that did not have a global kidult following has very little chance of ever ending up on DVD (Dare! Dare!). And yes, those two other shows will be mentioned in a later edition of this post...

Verdict: Some more obscure shows that I really have little chance or perhaps even desire to really relive. It would be interesting to see them again, but I am in the camp that these ones will really not withstand a cynical, jaded view from a person no longer under the age of 10. 4
5 reminiscences out of 80.

3 comments:

Morgan Davie said...

[wow, just discovered there were two months worth of posts here that didn't show up on my google reader!]

Kids from OWL was the most amazingly pants show. I will never forget it. They would show a static photograph of the beehive, and then a kid in a wheelchair and another kid on crutches would come out and stand in front of it and deliver some lines about the evil SLIME, and then they'd walk off screen and the scene would end.

It was AMAZING. I would love to see it again.

Off-Black said...

My favourite Kids from OWL sequence involved somehow contriving to get one of the kids into the cockpit of an airborne Skyhawk and having them land it, despite having less than useful legs. Even at the age of 8 I found this gloriously ridiculous!

Children of the Dog Star is also available in gloriously rubbish transfer form on Youtube, courtesy of someone in Holland I think.

Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.