Friday, February 6, 2009

The Case for Hopeless Emptiness Reinterpreted


Following on from my last Judgement, I was interested to hear, a few days later, the interpretation of Revolutionary Road from a different perspective.

Whereas I saw the film as a struggle against oppressive expectation, the film could also be viewed as a descent into madness, about being unable to deal or live within the confines of a normal life.

I am not sure if I will change my opinion about the films messages, but I did find it fascinating and challenging to hear another person's opinions on this kind of thing. It's a sign of a good movie that it can be interpreted different ways and generate discussion.

Verdict: Even better than before, and perhaps no less depressing.


Oh, and have a great Waitangi Day!

No comments: