Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Case for the Year in Review



I like reviews of the year just gone. One of my favourite parts of the Listener is their annual round up of the year that was, a review that reminds me of most of the stuff that happened in the past twelve months, issues I thought were earth-shattering at the time but have subsequently slipped out of memory, or else just been dislodged from their place in history and consigned to the big holding pen that is the undefined "past".

Hard to believe that this was the same year that petrol prices spiked over $2, as they have now come crashing back down, saved from going under that $1 mark by not only the greed of the multinational oil companies but also the similarly tumbled New Zealand dollar. Stocks have similarly plunged to uninspiring levels, taking interest rates with them, though those of us not mortgaged are now waiting for the housing market to suffer a similar descent.

On more political news, George W Bush's successor is a buff black man rather than a derranged hockey mom, while back home, New Zealand's political colours have changed from red to blue and the head from female to male, though any other notable differences have yet to make themselves apparent over the furore caused by the global financial crisis.

But enough plot summaries, as you all know the score. Here then, from my point of view, are some of the highlights:

(Super) Human of the Year:

It has to be Dan Carter. Plaster his boyish mug and/or chiselled abs on anything, and it ha
s instant credibility as Kiwi, savvy, stylish, if not necessarily smart. It may be sacrilege to say it, but in 2008, Dan Carter was the All Blacks. He sells clothes, cameras, cars, and himself (in a purely sporting manner of course) and the media (and presumably the public at large) lap it up. One has to wish him every success, and marvel at the marketing machine that wants to make his success their own (et tu Nikon?) and ensure he never has to pay a cent for any of the products he actually endorses.

Sporting Event of the Year:

As they are every four years, the Olympics takes the top sporting spot. However, ask me to name one sporting event for me that stood out, and I draw a bit of a blank. I remember a New Zealand rower almost vomited over an incredibly annoying TVNZ sports presenter, but perhaps I am merging two events together there in a kind of wishful thinking. But the Olympics were grand. Really.

Performance of the Year:

The Olympic games again and the opening ceremony. Fake singer and fake fireworks. But they looked good. And while everyone does it, it is worse when the Chinese do it, somehow. If only there were an international fuss over those hideously dubbed advertisements they allow on NZ TV.

TV Show of the Year:

For me, it has to be Ugly Betty. This is TV doing its escapist best, and not letting anything (like reality) hold it back. It may jump the shark soon, but, amongst its normal insanity, will anyone really notice?

News of the Year:

Oddly enough, I still trust Al Jazeera more than anything else these days. It definitely has a slant, but it tends to be on when I want to watch the news. Their news is more than just their set (though theirs is awesome), and Dan Carter tends not to appear that often.

Intervention of the Year:

Can't go past Facebook, for successfully integrating itself into almost everyone's lives. A social event cannot be arranged without it, and keeping tabs on peoples lives and love lives has never been easier. I am not the biggest fan of it myself, but then, I never have been terribly trendy.

Kiwi Icon of the Year:

Well, Dan may be the man, but Flight of the Conchords are the boys. They bathe in pungent Kiwiana, but come up smelling of roses due to their superlative talent. I bow to their mastery.

Song of the Year:

I kissed a Girl by Katy Perry has to be the song of the year, doesn't it? The lesbianist cause has never been more popular with young boys.

Concert of the Year (of the ones I attended):

The Police. Better than I thought they would be and the best of the (admittedly limited) bunch I have seen this year. I would definitely go again.

Verdict: Well, this may only be part one, but thus far, 2008 had lots to be judgemental about - on a completely superficial level of course.

No comments: