Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Case for Elections 1

Odd to think that once again it is time to take part in a process to elect a government to rule for over us for three years. Labour, under the firm leadership of Ms Helen Clark, is making another bid to be the party in charge, but National, under the more malleable command of Mr John Key, seems to be in the lead. It could be people want a change; it could be that people are unhappy with Labour; it could be that National is speaking sense. It could be lots of things. But could it be the campaigns?

I thought I would take a quick look at some of the campaign slogans thus far, and in my particular style, rate their effectiveness.

1. Labour

The first purely because they are the ruling government, they seem to be going with the “All about Trust” tack. While I would love to hear Ms Clark actually define New Zealandness, the appeal to trust is an interesting notion, especially considering that politicians always tend to end up as the most untrustworthy occupation in polls on that topic. If the New Zealand Nurses Organisation ran for government on that slogan, they would be a shoo-in.

Verdict: Labour – sounds nice, but one should only think about it in the context of other parties, rather than other polls. Three seats out of five.


2. National

“Choose a Brighter Future”. One so bright, one has to wear shades? Is this a sly indication of their pro-global warming stance? I do like the emphasis on the “choice” though, as rather than “trust” the party to do the right think (like Labour), the Nats want to put the power (if not necessarily the assets) back in the hands of the people.

Verdict: National – definitely deserve kudos for empowering the voter, though how that would pan out post election will (may?) be interesting to see. Four seats out of five.

3. Greens

Whoever thought up the “Vote for me” campaign is a genius. Who could argue with the influence on the viewer of the image of the planet, children and animals with those words boring into ones brain, forcing responsibility and the emphasising the individual’s ability to make change? Well those who hate kids, cuddly animals or the planet in general would probably be immune. And how many of those are there out there?

Verdict: Greens – brilliant idea, well executed. Or perhaps not executed. More… circulated. Executed does not really sound like a Green term. Five seats out of five.

4. The Māori Party

Actually, I can’t seem to find a slogan for this party. They probably don’t need one; their name says it all. Some of their recent policy announcements have made me look twice at a party that, on the face of it, is not really designed for my non-Māori-ness, but fact they don’t need a slogan indicates to me that they are a party confident in what they are and what they stand for.

Verdict: Māori Party – no apparent slogan, but there is no need really. We know what they stand for.

5. New Zealand First

I can’t find a slogan for this party either, but considering New Zealand First tends to be a one-man band anyway, perhaps that should be too surprising. If anything, “Winston Peters” is this party’s slogan (check out the website) . And… that’s all I have to say about that.

Verdict: New Zealand First – this party’s slogan is and always has been “Winston First”, even if that is not on the billboards.

6. ACT

I like this one: “Be the Difference”. For some reason, this one strikes me as empowering in a very red pill / blue pill way. It’s another one of those slogans that are wildly open to interpretation (is it secretly designed to bolster the Green “save the planet” vote, perhaps?), though one has to admire its positivity.


Verdict: ACT – I kind of wish I didn’t, but I do like this one, perhaps because it does convince me to vote for a third party. The only problem; it might not be ACT. Three votes out of five.

7. Progressive Party

The final party on my round up is the Progressives, who have “The strength to care”. This one strikes me in a very evangelical way, as if perhaps this were the political wing of the Salvation Army or a newly reformed Destiny Party. Again, a mixed message for me, not really appealing to my “vote here” button.

Verdict: Progressives – a warm and fluffy message, but does the party really have the strength to do anything besides care? Two votes out of five.

Now only one question remains - which party (and candidate; so perhaps there are really two questions) to actually vote for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Winston Peter's has a scary smile on their web page. Is that supposed to make me vote for them, or run a mile in the other direction, screaming and waving my arms in the air??

Anonymous said...

Verdict: Greens – brilliant idea, well executed. Or perhaps not executed. More… circulated. Executed does not really sound like a Green term. Five seats out of five.

You made me laugh in humour on this cold Zurich morning Judge.

Go Green!