Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Case for Clayton's Choice

Intrepid movie buff that I am, I went to the most bleak and desolate of places (Upper Hutt) in my ongoing quest. Undaunted by the fact I ventured alone, I went forth. And even when the person selling me the ticket told me he would "thread the projector" just for me... well, that gave me pause, but in I went.

Yes, Michael Clayton was evidently not a big cinematic drawcard despite its Oscar-winning performances. To be honest, the story (evil corporation cover up - or is there!?!?!?) has been done a gazillion times, so perhaps such ambivalence is not surprising. However, this rendition is told well, albeit a bit slowly, though the true credit for the merit of the film belongs with the performances. Tilda Swinton in particular doesn't play the ruthless, unstoppable corporate monster, but rather, in the few scenes she is in, gives a human face to fairly brutal decisions, her icy features seeming appropriately pale at all the right moments.

Not too much to write about this one then. Long, fairly straight forward story, though the "twist" at the end I was anticipating never really came (so that would make it an anti-twist? Or a twist nonetheless?); but it was a superior film (for the type it was) with superior performances.

Verdict: While I liked the film, a theatre full of empty seats can't be totally wrong. 6.5 class action suits out of 10.

No comments: