Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Case for Daring Devils

I went of my own volition the The Devil Dared Me To, tempted as I was by the prospect of seeing a Back of the Y movie. My expectations were low, my taste was left at home, and any offence I may have taken at non-stop swearing was under sedation. And I was not disappointed.

There is no point going too deeply into
The Devil Dared Me To. The film is utter rubbish. There is close to no budget. The acting is abysmal. But does any of this matter? No, because it revels in rubbishry, it bathes in its boorishness and swims in its stupidity. It introduced me to the phrase “horizontal hongi”, and that is about the only thing new I really discovered.

It is offensive. It is violent. It is a bit gory. It is just like the Back of the Y, except noticeably longer (the film seeming stretched even at only about 90 minutes duration). And they got Carol to swear, even if that was just for the promo and not for the film itself.

Verdict: On a scale of A to Y, where A is good and Y is utter rubbish, this is definitely Y – but it was bad in a good way!

No comments: