Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Case for Chocolate Fish

I woke up far too early this morning and thus have awakened in a more judgemental mood than usual. So when I was reminded of the fact that the Chocolate Fish Cafe is closing at the end of 2007 thanks to the machinations of the beloved Wellington City Council, I had to have a bit of a rant.

Now, I don't live in Wellington city, so I never get to vote in the Wellington elections and I don't really plan on moving there any time soon. So I suppose I really shouldn't complain about things that in which I have decided not to get involved. But there are some things that the council seems to do that just makes no sense to me: 1) build a bypass (though only do a cheaper version so it causes as much traffic disruption on its new route as possible), but then decide to move part of that bypass over a few metres to make way for a decorative park under
the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior; 2) a final decision on the whole Transmission Gully debacle still seems no closer and I believe it is the WCC dragging its heels there; 3) and now this happens.

While I am highly judgemental, I am not going to say I fully understand all the complex reasons and issues behind any or all of these decisions. However, on the surface, I have to say I do not understand this at all. And, like all good highly judgemental people, the things I don't understand are the things I judge the most harshly (unless it is a film by David Lynch - I love those).

One thing I will say: if the Chocolate Fish Cafe have a sale on their funky chairs, I bags the Wonder Woman one...

Verdict: Absolutely Positively Incomprehensible

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So as a Wellingtonian with a vote, have you got any ideas who I should vote for?

R said...

Absolutely none. The lesser of two weavils?

Anonymous said...

Problem is there's 11 weevils - and I don't know enough about any of them.