Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Case for Castlepoint

Again, my thanks to the NotKate for once again providing me with the updated "look" for this page. My apologies for not noticing that she actually put this up there ages ago - doh!


______________________


Over the weekend, I had the wonderful opportunity to take advantage of the fine spring weather to head over to the Wairarapa and see that part of the country through fresh eyes. LaurenOrder and her good friend Grace provided the excuse to head over to Castlepoint, with the Fisherman suggesting a quick drop by Stonehenge Aotearoa on the way.


I may save judgement on Stonehenge NZ for another day, but I will not remain silent on the marvel that is Castlepoint. That place always fascinates me. The waves crashing over the natural lagoon walls; the sight of a hill that appears to be sliced neatly in two by the power of the ocean; the incredible contrast with the beach just around the corner; all of these things always leave me completely in awe of the power and beauty of nature. And of course, and being completely predictable, the Castlepoint locale always hints to me of some fantastical kingdom, beset by enemies and by the ages, crumbling away but still retaining a distinct aura of past glories. The Fisherman took some incredible shots that illustrate the almost mystical quality of the place - here's one of them.


And seeing it again with the assistance of first timers is always a revelation in itself. Watching what interested them, the sites that first drew their interest, was to rediscover parts of the world a jaded person such as myself had lost. Thanks guys, I really appreciated it.


Verdict: Some things old are new again – for a while, anyway

1 comment:

kiwilauren said...

No, thank YOU! What an awesome way to spend a Saturday. :o)