Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Case for Keri


Continuing on with my theme of "catching up", I found a movie flier the other day (whilst out watching the wonderful
Razzle Dazzle in fact) that demanded a passing of judgement.

Before said film I saw a preview for a romcom called Waitress which, much to my delight, starred the delightful Keri Russell (of
Felicity fame), the awesome Nathan Fillion (you may remember him from such TV classics as Firefly, Two Guys and a Girl and a brief stint on Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and of course a wide variety of butter-laden pies. Intrigued and interested more by the cast (including the pies) than the genre, I picked up a flier on the way out to remind myself of what it was all about.

The front of the flier itself is attached. And I am not sure if it is as evident on a smaller scale, but I was instantly struck by the fact that Keri's head is too big for her body. She looks like a Thunderbirds puppet. Because, of course, that is not her body - it is her distinctive mug sticky taped on to the body of some nameless, probably unknown actress (or actor) somewhere in Hollywoodland.

The another thought struck me. I never really watched Felicity (who really did?). Perhaps what I failed to realise was that Keri really has a revolting figure. She must actually be physically deformed. The model they have chosen has barely any curves, so perhaps Keri has an unfeasibly large bust line, a wonderfully luscious arse, and strong, lean legs? Or perhaps she was pregnant at the time, and swelling with womanly curvaceousness? Whatever her physical form, it obviously did not meet the strict marketing standards imposed by Fox movies (Rupert Murdoch strikes again!).

To be honest, this kind of thing really annoys me. The whole thing stinks of deceit and causing issues with body image. Plus - it kind of creeps me out a bit.

Verdict: Keri, honey, you must have an ugly body. But Becki Newton is all that - and she has those fantastic eyebrows too...

No comments: