Friday, June 29, 2007

The Case for Supporting Local Theatre

I did something very noble during the week. I supported local theatre.

Or at least, I felt like I had achieved something that was civic in its duty, something supportive of the domestic arts, and something that I do not normally do on a Wednesday night. I went to the theatre, and they told me that I was being a very good boy for doing so, and I believed them too.

The occasion for this act of societal selflessness was a musical based on a cartoon that I enjoyed in University and continue to enjoy in the Capital Times, when I can get my hands on a copy. Fitz Bunny – Lust for Glory follows the adventures of budding reporter Alex Kincaid and her association with an unhinged talking bunny set on world domination. Obviously, the idea of an “old favourite” taking to the live stage made me slightly wary, but the actual production itself was actually very good and left my previous Uni memories intact.

The performances were all routinely superb, though I sometimes struggled to hear the lyrics to some of the songs (either because I am becoming deaf with old age or the music was just that wee bit overpowering). The plot and script were what one would expect if one followed the comic, though there were some pop cultural references that left me as perplexed as the Indian guy listing various “congressional positions” in that wonderful film 40 Year Old Virgin. Obviously, I am nowhere near as "hip and with it" as I may have imagined.

Potential wardrobe malfunctions were averted (more through luck than pre-emptive action), singing voices became bolder as the temperature of the (un-airconditioned) auditorium increased with the bodyheat of a warming audience, and everyone seemed to have a lot of fun. One of the audience members got into the show as well with some very interesting interjections, but the cast dealt with this like old (and deaf as post) pros, and kept dancing, singing, mugging and overacting, as one would expect from such a production.

After an hour, and a final song thanking me for my social conscience, I left Bats feeling all the better about myself and impressed by the calibre of local amateur dramatics (my apologies if anyone was a professional). Not sure when I will next do my part for the Wellington theatrical scene, but I hope I am as entertained as I was then.

Verdict: 4 Megalomaniacal Animals out of 5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh unheated auditoriums. cold wintery windy wet nights in wellington. it almost brings a tear to my eye.

Anonymous said...

The woman who was heckling was, in fact, the original Fitz Bunny. As in, she was the person that Grant based Fitz on.