Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Case for Scottish Sympathy

In yesterday's paper, I noted there was a reprint of an article written by Sean Connery for an American paper on the future of Scottish independence, now that a pro-Scottish party has been elected. His letter encouraged Americans to support Scottish independence, and showed his obvious pride in the recent gains the independence movement has made. Scottish independence is obviously a subject best left to those who live there, but I did find the tone of the "letter" quite interesting.

While the USA did declare independence from the British Empire, which is what I imagine Mr Connery is thinking of, I wonder if Mr Connery would support the independence claims of some Native American and Hawaiian groups? Shouldn't his letter therefore have urged similar consideration of the first peoples of the USA? I know that wasn't the point of the letter, as it was a "solidarity against the British" themed missive, but I do wonder what reaction it would have received from its intended audience?

Verdict: Breaking the chains one link at a time.

5 comments:

Off-Black said...

On a similar note, I understand the IRA got a lot of sympathy and funding from elements of the US Irish community.

Anonymous said...

it's ironic really the EU membership means that a good deal of what it is to be an independent country is lost, and yet, those elements of independce that still exist within Europe are as strong as they ever were and people still strive for them.

R said...

Some comments! Yay!!

Off-black - your task is to write an essay, 50 words or less, on the difference between "terrorism" and "freedom fighters", particularly in a post September 11 world.

KiwiinZurich - I suppose you live in a country where they seem to have worked out (in my opinion) the perfect balance between individual differences (as the Cantons are all wildly different) working within one "nation state" - I wonder if the rest of Europe will be so successful.

R

Off-Black said...

I can do it in 5.

"depends on who you ask."

Anonymous said...

The thing is, the Swiss are both conservative and eminently sensible. As well as having the whole Swiss thing pulling them together. I'm not sure, yet, if the whole Europe thing is enough to pull Europe together. I can't imagine integration going largely beyond economic, environmental and other such matters. The Swiss at the heart of it want what is best for Switzerland. The different countries in Europe want what is best for the different countries in Europe. Not for Europe. Still, I'm grateful I only generally need pounds, francs and euros to get by...