Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Case for Porter-bility

I am having a pretty musical seven days at the moment.

It kicked off last night when I attended a local concert of Cole Porter songs.  Fish was performing in it*, meaning there was that extra reason to attend, and it was great, though I was decidedly on the younger spectrum of the attending demographic.  There was a golden mirrorball of a hypnotising dress, shoeless conducting, and a tribute to France, but the thing that struck me the most was how I could relate almost every song to the Muppets in one way or another - in particular, Wayne and Wanda.





Of course, other songs from the Porter back catalogue I associate with other, more cinematic outings. [Unfortunately, I can't embed the classic Tank Girl version of Let's Do It, so click the link to see it]

Sure, a lot of his songs are pretty sappy, and sometimes their "smartness" begins to grate my cheese after a little while, but they are almost all pretty catchy and mostly quite a bit of fun to boot.  Some of course are a bit more saucy, and I was a little disappointed when the glittery-dress woman failed to capitalise on her rather... slinky outfit to attempt Love for Sale.


Verdict: I definitely get a kick out of a lot of Cole Porter songs, and it was a great night all around.  7 bees doing it out of 10.

* she was the gorgeous babe with the flower in her hair

And the next agenda on the musical calendar?  A big change of pace with the Def Leppard:


3 comments:

fish said...

You forgot to mention the gorgeous babe with the flower in her hair :)

R said...

Done! :)

Anonymous said...

Great post, i'll stop by sometimes! :)

Tiago Couto

www.midnightconceiver.com