Monday, June 13, 2011

The Case for Another Hangover


There is a lot to be said about a funny film.  There is a lot to be said about The Hangover Part 2.  Unfortunately, the things to be said are pretty much mutually exclusive.  


No, I was not a fan of this film.  I was surprised when I found myself enjoying the odd moment watching the first Hangover film, but then, I was watching it at home and able to fast forward or otherwise ignore the film in the comfort of my own lounge.  

There is no such option of escaping in a cinema, and hearing the cackling of those around me made it even worse.  The Hangover Part Two is lewd, crude, and I am not sure if "rascist" quite encapsulates how it treats the Thais (as noone really comes out terribly well, it has to be said).  It's evidently designed to capitalise on the success on the first film: the scene of the boys boarding the plane indicates they are flying alone, and it seems they only meet up with their wives once they collect them from the checked luggage carousel.  The characters are all annoying... and no, I really can't be bothered talking about it anymore.

I have to admit, the NotKate and I really only went because we wanted to see a movie at the Roxy Cinema in Miramar, and Super 8 was sold out two hours before the film screened.  I can say a whole heap of good things about the Roxy - and I kind of have to, as it has the kind of atmospheric lighting that made it really hard for me to take any photos with my little cameraphone.  Ah well, I may try and post some of them later, but lets just say that it is an amazing place, with an incredibly roomy interior, lovely comfy chairs, a matire d' who managed to make me ashamed for being alive... and then the cinema we ended up seeing the movie in is wonderful, with large plush seats and an impressive screen.  And yes, I want to go again...

 

Verdict 1:  The Hangover Part 2.  Terrible.  2 out of 10, with points only given for being screened at the Roxy Cinema.

Verdict 2: The Roxy Cinema.  10 out of 10.  I am definitely going again, though I may be a bit wary about the scary woman in charge of the cafe...


No comments: